In line with the Renovation Wave – the European Commission’s strategy published in 2020 – the proposed revision of the Energy Performance of Building Directive (EPBD) suggest introducing EU–wide minimum energy performance standards (MEPS) for the worst performing buildings. The proposed revision of the EPBD also introduces a definition of zero-emission buildings, deep renovations and mortgage portfolio standards. Furthermore, it introduces “Building Renovation Passports” and facilitates the use of new performance metrics including final energy consumption and lifecycle carbon emissions. In accordance with these future requirements, specific energy skills are needed on the construction site and the market demand for these skills has to be raised.
To do so, the “Energy Advisors” were chosen as the main target group for the BUSLeague training interventions in Austria. Energy advisors are the connecting link between the end consumer and the construction industry. Energy advisors support the end consumer to define their construction specifications with a focus on sustainably and energy efficiency.
In cooperation with the Energy Agency Styria, a further-education provider for energy advisors based in the Austrian federal province of Styria, short online trainings were developed within the BUSLeague project. The implemented micro trainings focused on the following topics:
- Implementation of individual building renovation roadmaps (or passports)
- Management of biobased construction material on the building site
- Interpretation of available quality checks on the building site
The micro-trainings were carried out online, took around 120 minutes each and were evaluated excellent on quality and relevance by over 80% of the participants.
The reasons for the great success of these short online trainings in Austria can be summarized as follow:
- The trainings are short (maximum of two hours each) and can be carried out online.
- The training topics cover currently needed knowledge in line with the actual and future requirements of the Energy Performance of Building Directive (EPBD).
- The trained target group is a cornerstone to raise the market demand for sustainably and energy efficiency in the construction sector.